Thursday, March 1, 2012

Understanding Your K's & 1st Graders

(This is the sixth of an 8 part series on Understanding Your Youngster. Check back each week for helpful, age specific information on how to help your child's spiritual development and creating a godly foundation.)
"If you want to see what children can do, you must stop giving them things." Norman Douglas
Hi, I'm in kindergarten or first grade. Welcome to my world! I enjoy attention from others but I'm often self-conscious. I'm learning how to read and write. Join me and see what I'm learning and what I like to do!
  • Give me opportunities to explore and discover things I can do alone and with others. 
  • I need clear, simple directions with modeling. 
  • Listen to my questions, give honest answers and assure me of God's love. 
  • I am beginning to understand the concept of what it means to be in a relationship with Jesus.
  • I accept that God is everywhere all the time but I am perplexed because I can't see Him. 
  • I understand the difference between a need and a want.
  • I enjoy hearing stories about friends of God/Jesus from the New and Old Testament and accept them as true. 
  • Share your faith stories with me. They help me form and shape my beliefs, values and behaviors. 
  • I can learn such truths as: The Bible is God's book. It tells us about God, His promises and how we should love Him and love others. God is the creator of the world and everything in it. God is loving. 
  • Consistent Adult leaders help me understand and experience God's unconditional love and commitment. 
  • Give me ongoing encouragement that I have what it takes to learn.
  • Give me chores. They let me know I have something to contribute and am part of the family. They teach me responsibility and give me skills for a lifetime. 
  • I am beginning to see inconsistencies between people's words and their actions.
  • I understand that prayer is talking and listening to God and believe that He hears our prayers. 


"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance." Frank Adams








(Information pulled from Willow Creek's "Thought You'd Like to Know" series.)

No comments:

Post a Comment