Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Understanding Your 2nd & 3rd Graders

(This is the seventh of an 8 part series on Understanding Your Youngster. Check back each week for helpful, age specific information on how to help your child's spiritual development and creating a godly foundation.)
"In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings." Ann Landers

I'm a second or third grader. Welcome to my world. I'm gaining confidence and competence. I want life to be fair and rules are important. I enjoy doing real-life tasks. Walk with me and see what I'm learning and what I like to do.

  • I ask increasing questions about the Bible and God and heaven. How can God be everywhere and see everything? How does God answer everyone's prayer?
  • I enjoy hearing and learning Bible stories.
  • I am beginning to reason logically in a concrete matter. 
  • I accept that God made everything.
  • I am learning: God wants me to grow and become like Jesus. I can trust God no matter what. God wants me to develop my talents. God is all powerful. I can pray anytime, anywhere and about anything. 
  • I experience God's love through friends, teachers and leaders in my community at church.
  • I like to work for an immediate reward. 
  • I have an increased ability to solve problems. 
  • I understand more deeply what it means to be in a relationship with Jesus.
  • I understand cause and effect.
  • Listen to my questions, give honest answers and assure me of God's love.
  • I am beginning to inconsistencies between people's words and their actions. 
  • I am beginning to understand symbols and their meanings. 



"Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children." Charles Swindoll





(Information pulled from Willow Creek's "Thought You'd Like to Know" series.)

No comments:

Post a Comment